Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Kitchens...Save the planet?

I am about to go to bed here at a friend's flat in Tapakuno, a beach 5 minutes outside of Auckland city centre.  Today we hiked up Mt. Victoria, a volcano... and then cooked a dinner with my friend's flatmates...German girl, French guy, 2 Kiwis, and a Scottish girl.  This smaller production reminded me to blog about my hostel experience last week, where I was quickly reminded about my travels in Europe too.  At the ACB Hostel in downtown Auckland, I arrived into the kitchen to cook my dinner one night...what a fabulous experience!  A beehive of delicious smells, pots clanging, different languages, vibrant colors, creative foods, and heaps of laughter filled the room.  One of the most refreshing sights as there were over 40 people from all over the world working together... sharing burner spaces and olive oil and conversation... laughing and joking while enjoying their creations!  If only the rest of the world could take the lead that is set in hostel kitchens by young nomads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment